Thursday 4 March 2010

Smoking

When looking back many years, through idols such as Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe and even James Bond actors, smoking has been positively portrayed. Through many sources of media, cigarettes have been characterised with for example maturity, sexiness and was even used to enhance feminism.

However, over time smoking has been publicly condemned as bad and personally to some extent I agree. When counter balancing the enjoyment of smoking with the financial factors and health risks I generally do not believe it is worth it. Yet does this make smoking bad behaviour?

Since I was born my parents have always smoked. Watching the people you love most try to give up but fail time and time again has made me more determined not to do it myself. I have never tried a cigarette therefore some may say how can you judge, but still I do have an opinion on the issue... Many smokers and in fact non smokers uphold the view that it is the individual's life and they should choose whether to smoke or not yet I cannot help but feel even though the smoker may have that choice to smoke the people around them may not have the choice to be smoking passively. For example even though smoking has been banned in public places when walking to that public place I always seem to be stuck behind someone smoking with the wind blowing it in my direction.

Generally I don't not mind if people smoke or if they do not, as said the ones I love most smoke but there is a reason why smoking is increasingly becoming band and for those who socially smoke, i hope you stop before you can't. Overall i do not believe smoking should be classed as a bad behaviour, however a behaviour that has many bad side effects.
Below is a link to a relevant website to the NHS for quitting:


No comments:

Post a Comment