Friday 23 April 2010

Response to Swearing

After reading a post from Graham Quirk via the link http://theblackheartofgrahamquirk.blogspot.com/ I must be honest, I was confused. Generally I found the post extremly humourous, due to his display of love for profanities. However I personally believe there are aspects of swearing that should be questionned rather than a person just stating how they enjoy swearing.


Most swear words if not all originate from a meaning, therefore is it not wrong to use them for crude unecessary language rather than in the incorrect context. It could be debated whether swearing is unacceptable if it is a direct remark towards someone but is acceptable if used to express emotions of for example anger. This is because if it does not harm a person is the behaviour truly bad.


I believe location and setting are important factors to account for when deciding whether swearing is bad. For example when I was young I was always told that swearing was bad and there was the monsterous consequence of soap if i did. However besides this I was then exposed to familiy members cursing. As a child the double standards can cause great confusion therefore is this not an example of how if people wish to swear they should do so in discreation, or at approriate times otherwise when the behaviour effects others it is then bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment